Solar concentrators provide high energy density solar radiation to a target receiver,thus raising the temperature of the target receiver. Depending on the degree of the concentration, the properties (solar absorption and radiation) of the target surface, and the target’s cooling rate, the following may occur :
1) The target will melt (high concentration)
2) The target will reach an equilibrium temperature with natural cooling (modest concentration)
3) The target will reach an equilibrium temperature with a forced (circulating) coolant (intermediate concentration)
Applications: Based on the above three effects, various applications are derived.
1) Solar furnace.
2) Solar cooker or a solar oven.
3) Steam in home, commercial or industrial applications, or indirectly, as a vapor(steam) to generate electricity.